Marriage License

Marriage License Information

Click Here to Apply for a Marriage License

Marriage License Provider List (Click Here)

Our office is now located in the Government Center at 590 S. Commerce Ave. on the second floor.

Effective November 27, 2017 the following is required for obtaining a marriage license.

Both parties are to appear in the Clerk’s Office and sign the application. We are unable to issue a marriage license to any individual unable to personally appear in the Clerk's office, per Florida Statute 741.03. Payment is required when applying for the license. 

The legal age for marriage without parental consent is eighteen (18) years of age. The legal age for marriage, with parent’s consent, is sixteen (16). The marriage application may not be issued, for anyone under the age of sixteen, unless the bride has a doctor’s certification that she is pregnant. At that time, both the groom and bride will sign the affidavit stating that they are the parents of an expected child, and the parent(s) will sign consent(s) to the marriage. If the bride has a doctor certificate of pregnancy, whether or not the parents consent to the marriage, a hearing will be held before the county judge with proper notice to the parent(s).

Proper identification is needed. Identification requirements are as follows:

Couples must be prepared to give their Social Security number. No blood test is required.
FOR U.S. CITIZENS: Driver’s License, Birth Certificate, Passport, or Florida State I.D. Card
FOR NON-CITIZENS: Resident Alien Card, Birth Certificate, Passport from native country, or any card issued by Immigration and Naturalization Services.

Couples who are Florida Residents have a choice of one of the following:

  1. Wait three days after application to use marriage license.
  2. Take a premarital course and obtain the license with no waiting period.
There is a handbook that has been created by the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar that the couple will receive when they obtain their license. All applicants are required to sign an affidavit stating whether they did or did not take the premarital course, and did receive the handbook. 

If a couple decides to take the premarital course, they will need to do the following:

Take the course before applying for the license. After taking the course they each will need to obtain a certificate to bring with them. Couples do not have to take the course together, it can be taken separately. If the couple takes the course, they will get a $25.00 reduction on the cost of the license. They may have to pay for the course (prices are set by the provider of the course).

If both are Non-Florida Residents they will be exempt from the three-day waiting period and will be able to obtain their license and have the wedding ceremony the same day, there is no reduction in the cost.
Individuals who wish to teach the course must come to the Highlands County Courthouse to obtain a Provider Affidavit that must be notarized and returned along with a copy of their license that qualifies them to teach the course. The following is a list of qualified instructors as stated in Florida Statute 741.0305(3)(a):

  1. A Psychologist licensed under Chapter 490
  2. A Clinical Social Worker licensed under Chapter 491
  3. A Marriage and Family Therapist licensed under Chapter 491
  4. A Mental Health Counselor licensed under Chapter 491
  5. An Official Representative of a religious institution, which is recognized under s.496.404 (20), if the representative has relevant training.
  6. Any other provider designated by a Judicial Circuit, including, but not limited to, school counselors who are certified to offer such courses.
Each premarital preparation course provider shall furnish each participant who completes the course with a certificate of completion specifying the name of the participant, the date of completion and whether the course was conducted by personal instruction, videotape instruction or instruction via other electronic medium, or by a combination of these methods.

If there has been a recent divorce (within six months), you must show a copy of the Final Judgment. If you have been divorced longer than six months, we do not require proof, but you must be prepared to give us the date the last marriage ended. If the bride has had her maiden name restored, she must bring in a copy of the divorce papers stating her name was restored.

The total cost of a marriage license is as follows:

  • Couple, residents, both took course: $ 61.00 no waiting period
  • Couple, residents, no course: $ 86.00 3 day waiting period
  • Couple, non-residents: $ 86.00 no waiting period
This includes two certified copies of the license, which are mailed to you. The original is sent to the Bureau of Vital Statistics for recording and permanent record retention. Any additional certified copies needed may be obtained for an additional $3.00 each.

A self-addressed, stamped envelope is included with the license for the return of the original to this office for recording. The person performing the ceremony and the witnesses must sign the original, and the appropriate lines completed.

All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some churches, or other ordained clergy, and all judicial officers, including retired judicial officers, and notary publics of this state may solemnize the rights of matrimonial contact, under the regulations prescribed by the law.